Scientists prove special brain-training games are not special, just boring

A new study from England's Medical Research Council for Cognition & Brain Sciences Unit and the Alzheimer's Society UK reveals in this week's Nature that "brain-training games" may not increase brain function or IQ at all.

This comes as no surprise to Shady Rest lab tech Oliver Powell. "I spend countless hours pretending to work while really playing computer solitaire. But it hasn't been a complete waste of time. I've discovered, before the Brits by the way, that the more I practice computer solitaire, the better I get at computer solitaire. But that's it. Those skills don't translate to say, help me learn to ride a unicycle. The only thing my computer solitaire skills are good for is computer solitaire. Not even regular solitaire, which is really odd, but-- no, I'm all about the computer solitaire. I'm also all about my Ratt cover band, RattSkkin," Powell said as playing cards began to cascade over his monitor.

"We were gonna spell the name of our band: RatttSkkkin, but a few people found the three T's to be offensive. Hey, for my next game, I'm thinkin' about rockin' the tropical island deck. Or the rose is pretty. Rose now, island next. Good call, there, reporter. Anyway, the only activity I'm aware of that legitimately increases mental capacity and raises IQ is that new game show, Minute to Win It. I can actually feel myself getting smarter when I watch those people stack cups and then unstack 'em in under a minute. No, island now, rose next."