Bi-Polar Polar Bear Club

Instead of monthly treks down to the lake for the Shady Rest Polar Bear Club, the head of the Aquatic Center, Doug Shepard, thinks it's wise to move the event to every other month. Shepard said, "We're thrilled at the large turnouts, but it has it's dangers - namely, hypothermia. And without enough blankets, residents were asked to share. As you'd expect, that went really, really bad. So that's why I'm happy to announce the Polar Bear club will move to a bi-monthly schedule."

Several residents reacted harshly to this news thinking that the early winter morning swims would only be for bi-polar patients.

Shady Rest Helpers explained to patients after a trip to the mall that they were all welcome to come swim in the freezing morning water. This confounded, irritated and overjoyed the group.

One resident gleefully said, "I love the feel of the freezing water on my skin 'cause it makes me feel alive. Plus, it numbs my whole body which is good 'cause right after breakfast I get intensive, high-voltage electroshock treatment. And then after that, I just sorta chill until dinner."